Spaghetti alla Carbonara
From Tyler Florence
2 chicken breasts
1 pound spaghetti
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
6 slices bacon, diced
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for garnish
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Fresh basil, torn
- Pan saute chicken breasts until coked through. When finished cooking, set aside and keep warm.
**It is important to begin the sauce while the pasta cooks so that the pasta will be hot and will cook the eggs when they are added.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt water generously. Cook spaghetti for 8 to 10 minutes, or until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water, and then drain pasta.
- In a large skillet or pot, cook bacon until crispy. Add garlic to the bacon and bacon fat and cook for 1 minute.
- Add spaghetti to bacon, bacon fat, and garlic. Toss to coat pasta and cook for 2 minutes.
- Beat the eggs and Parmesan together in a medium bowl until as smooth as possible.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add egg mixture. Quickly stir pasta to cook eggs and complete the sauce. Add pasta water to thin sauce until it is a consistency of your liking. Season with pepper.
- Slice chicken breast and place on top of pasta. Garnish with Parmesan and basil if desired.
Sharing at these great parties