Well, I gave it another go, and I used a different recipe and halved it because I am only making it for two little girls.
*2 1/2 cups water
*2 1/2 cups flour
*1 1/4 cups coarse salt
*1 1/2 Tablespoons cream of tartar
*5 Tablespoons vegetable oil
*Green food coloring
*3-4 teaspoons peppermint extract
1. Mix the water, salt, and cream of tartar together in a large saucepan.
2. Cook this mixture on low, until heated, stirring regularly.
3. Add the oil and gradually add the flour.
4. Add the peppermint extract.
5. Continue to cook and stir until the dough pulls away from the sides and isn't sticky.
6. Remove some of the dough from the pan to a bowl and set aside.
7. Add green (or red) food coloring to the remainder of the dough and stir until it is mixed well.
8. Remove to a bowl to cool. Cover both bowls with a towel so the dough can cool, but not dry out.
9. When it's cool, knead it a bit, then roll it out into a long tube shape and criss cross the green and white colors together.
10. Package in an airtight container.
You could use mod podge to place a label or gift tag on the jar for a gift. Or, place the twisted clay in a ziploc, cut the zipper off and tie with a ribbon for a stocking stuffer.