One of the aspects of blogging that I’ve come to appreciate more and more lately is a “friendship” with other bloggers. As far as building my blog goes, the relationship and rapport building has taken a lot of work. Here are five ways you can build relationships, blogger to blogger.
1. Find some “big bloggers” and follow them closely. But, there’s a caveat to this-do it with a genuine heart. Follow them with a reader’s heart and a blogger’s eye. By this I mean use them as role models, and as your blog grows, you’ll be amazed what ideas and help you can glean just by following them. Leave comments, let them know you are a fan. Everyone loves encouragement.
2. Follow 5-7 blogs that are about the same size as yours. You can grow up together . I’ve found the greatest relationships are with bloggers whose sites are about the same number of followers as My Favorite Finds. I try to continually comment on their posts, share them on social media, and even collaborate with them on different “events”. When others know you are in it genuinely, they can tell.
3. Join a FB group, or other social media group, for bloggers. I’m currently part of Creative Bloggers Collective. This is a FB group where we can ask questions, get advice, and share our work with others. It has become one of my “go to” bloggy tools! We also have a collective pinboard that we all pin to! It's awesome to catch up with some of my favorite creative bloggers and see what's going on with them via the group pinboard and the weekly linky party, giveaway, and post threads.
4. Share the love. If I see something great linked up at Must Try Monday, or Pinworthy Projects, you can bet I’ll share it on FB, Google+ or Twitter. I also let the blogger know I am sharing her work with others. If I want my work shared, then I share the work of others. Also, if I’m featured on another blog, their button goes right to my Featured On page, and I give them a “thank you” via social media.
5. Participate, but to an extent. If I participated in every shout out for guest posts, giveaways, etc. that I saw on other blogs, that would consume all my time! I only commit to giveaways, guest posts, etc. if it’s a blog I truly like to read and that I think will be a good fit for my readers. Also, I expect the same thing from others. An easy way to participate and get your blog out there is to co host link parties. Collaborate with another blogger to start your own together, or be on the lookout for blogs who are searching for cohosts.
So I think what it comes down to is this: To build a relationship with someone, you need to be genuine and real. Don’t let numbers, expectations, or comparison steal your joy of blogging. How do you build relationships with other bloggers? I'd love to hear about it!