Creating a Advent Christmas Countdown is something our family really looks forward to. We love to celebrate Advent, and really focus on the birth of Jesus and preparing our hearts for Christmas. Even though the kids get those fun chocolate Advent calendars, I also wanted to create this easy Advent Star Christmas Countdown using DecoArt’s Multisurface paints, as well as my Silhouette Cameo. So for this month’s Silhouette Challenge, I’m showing you how to use the trace function on your Silhouette Cameo. Later this month, I’ll show you the full tutorial for this Advent to Christmas Star. Today, we are going to focus on using the trace function with your Silhouette.
Using the Trace Function on Your Silhouette Cameo
1. Open your Silhouette Studio software, as well as your internet browser. Google an image search for “5 point star”. Download it and save it to your computer.
2. In Silhouette Studio, under “File”, choose “Open” and open the star image you downloaded. It will look like this:
3. Click on “Image” and choose “Trace”. The “Trace” window will open on the right side of your screen. Choose “Select Trace Area”. Highlight your whole star, and a yellow line will outline it.
4. Click on “Trace Area”. You should see slight red lines mixed in with the black of your object. Now, click on the white box surrounding your image, and move it aside. Voila! You should be left with a star that is outlined in red cut marks.
5. Since I’m using the star as part of our countdown, I sized it to a smaller size, and filled my page with it for cutting.
Stop by later this month to see how I put this whole Christmas countdown together! But for now, do you want to check out more Silhouette Projects?
My Silhouette Challenge buddies are all sharing projects today on their blogs, so peruse the links below for a blog-hopping good time.
DIY Ironing Board Hanger by The Turquoise Home
Silhouette Challenge: Time Zone Bathroom Art by Nearly Handmade
Santa’s Christmas Countdown by Tried & True
Nautical Anchor Pillow Tutorial by The Thinking Closet
Christmas Card Ornament with Free Cut File by unOriginalMom
Thanksgiving and Christmas Dual Sign by Architecture of a Mom
Itching to Etch by Get Silvered
Snowman Tag ~ Silhouette Challenge by Whats Next Ma
Thanksgiving Sign by Chicken Scratch NY
DIY Horse Silhouette Pillow by Rain on a Tin Roof
Sketching on Fabric by The Sensory Emporium
Paper Leaf Garland by Lil’ Mrs. Tori
DIY Blessing Board – Silhouette Challenge by One Tough Mother
Christmas Pillow by Create & Babble
Glass Painting with Reverse Stencils by Givemeapaintbrush
Chalkboard Thankful Tree by Cutesy Crafts
Bottoms Up! MYO Wine Tag by From Wine to Whine
‘Happy Holly-days’ Tags for the Swap by An Elegant Touch…
Thank You for Dinner (Card) by Everyday Paper
Advent Star Christmas Countdown by My Favorite Finds
Geometric Fabric Bowls by Please Excuse My Craftermath…
Paper Carnival by Home At Eight
Silhouette Cameo Tutorial: Dual Sided Business Cards by Black and White Obsession
In Case of Emergency Baby Bag Tags by Tossed Salad Life
Christmas On My Mind by Creative Turn
Jingle all the Way! by My Paper Craze
Christmas Lights Garland by Making Home Base
We Are Thankful by 4 You With Love
Seattle Skyline Silhouette by Sowdering About in Seattle
DIY Stenciled Mugs by Coley’s Corner
Do you have a Silhouette machine?
Looking for Silhouette inspiration, support, trouble-shooting? Interested in joining us for our group posting event next month? Then, we’d love to have you join our Silhouette Challenge Facebook group. To join, simply fill out the new member request form, and Lauren from The Thinking Closet will get you squared away.